Situated at a distance of 350 Kms. from Guwahati,
Sivasagar town is the district headquarter of Sivasagar
district. The mighty Ahoms ruled Assam from 1228-1826
setting up capitals in various places of Sivasagar
district. Sivasagar town (earlier known as Rangpur) was
the capital of the Ahom Kingdom from 1699 to 1788. The
town dedicated to Lord Siva - its name literally meaning
the ocean of Siva - is strewn with tell - tale ruins of
a powerful empire. Presently, Sivasagar presents the
unique spectacle of industrial transformation of a
silent town in the backdrop of relics of bygone days.
The following are the places worth visiting.
A seven storied palace having three storeys underground
known as Talatalghar and the upper storeys known as
karenghar, the capital and military station of the Ahom
kings is only 4 kms from Sivasagar town. First
constructed by the Ahom King Rudra Singha in 1700 AD,
alterations, additions and new constructions to this
palace were made by the successors of Rudra Singha. The
Talatalghar made of brick and an indigenous type of
cement was constructed by king Rajeshwar Singha. There
were two underground tunnels from Talatalghar connecting
Dikhow river and Gargaon Palace which were later blocked
by the British East India Company.
A little distance towards the North East from this Royal
Palace and by the side of the Assam Trunk Road stands
another imposing 2 storied building. This is Ranghar,
the royal sports-pavilion of Ahom kings which was
constructed during the reign of King Pramatta Singha in
1746. This Ranghar happens to be the oldest amphitheatre
Gargaon, the principal town of Ahoms built by Ahom King
Suklenmung in 1540, lies 13 kms. east of Sivasagar. The
structures were made of wood and stones. The Old Palace
was destroyed and the present seven storied palace was
rebuilt around 1752 by King Rajeshwar Singha. King
Pramatta Singha constructed the brick wall of about 5
kms. in length surrounding the Gargaon Palace and the
masonry gate in 1747.
The largest tank in India and perhaps the biggest man
made tank in the world comprising an area of 318 acres
of land including its four banks, out of which 155 acres
is filled with crystal clear water. An earthen water
pipeline runs from this tank to the Rangpur Palace (Karenghar)
which is about 2 kms in length, for supplying water of
this tank to the Royal Palace.
The tombs of Ahom Kings and Queens at Charaideo hillock
which are comparable to the Pyramids of Egypt are, even
in the present time of astounding scientific progress
and development, objects of wonder revealing the superb
skill of sculptors and the fine form of architecture of
Assam in those days. About 30 Kms. from Sivasagar town
towards the east and at the foot hills of Nagaland, the
first capital of Ahom kingdom was established by
This is also the place of ancestral Gods of the Ahoms
and the sacred burial floor & stone pillars of "Deo Sal"
are still lying on the summit of the hillock Deo Sal in
In 1734, the second Queen of Siva Singha had the
Sivasagar Tank dug to commemorate the victory of her
husband, and named the tank "Sivasagar Tank".
The tank covers an area of 129 acres of land excluding
the 4 banks. The total area of the tank is 257 acres of
land. Although situated within the heart of the town the
water level of the tank is above the level of the town.
On its banks are three temples - the Sivadol, the
Vishnudol, and the Devidol. The Sivadol is believed to
be the highest Siva temple in India. Its height is 104
ft. and the perimeter is 195 ft. at the base. It is
capped by an 8 ft. high golden dome.